Station Name: BRIERY SIDING HALT
[Source: Alan Young]
Looking north-east c1935, Briery Siding is seen diverging to the left of the line between Keswick and Threlkeld. The workmen’s platform is out of sight, immediately beyond the overbridge that carries the lane to Briery Bobbin Mill. The ground frame which controls the points is in the foreground.
Photo by Richard L Pattinson, courtesy of Cumbrian Railway Association,
1924 1: 2,500 OS map. Briery Siding Halt was not shown on Ordnance Survey maps. The platform was immediately north-east of the bridge carrying the road to the Bobbin Mill (named) on the up (north-west) side of the track. The layout of the mill sidings, installed in the 1890s, is clearly represented. The River Greta forms the north-western boundary of the mill. The Mill Race diverting water from the river upstream to provide power to the mill and the Mill Stream which returns water to the river are both identified on the map. Click here for a larger version of the map.
Looking south-west towards the single platform of Briery Siding Halt; the date is unknown. Access to the platform was via a wicket gate from the mill yard and lane (right).
Photo by Richard L Pattinson, courtesy of Cumbrian Railway Association
Briery Siding Halt, looking east from the overbridge in May 1966. Although the platform is in place it has been out of use since 1958.
Copyright photo by John Alsop
A Class 108 diesel multiple unit bound for Keswick is about to pass the disused Briery Siding Halt c1970.
Photo from John Clark collection
A class 108 DMU is seen passing thorugh the closed Briery Siding Halt c1971.
Copyright photo by John Charters from Cumbrian Railway Association
Briery Siding Halt, looking east from the overbridge in February 1972. Although the platform is in place it has been out of use since 1958. The line through the station would close to all traffic in March 1972.
Photo by John Mann
The disused Briery Siding Halt, looking east in February 1972.
Photo by John Mann
Briery Siding Halt looking south-west in summer 1988. A cycle route follows the trackbed of the railway for much of the distance between Keswick and Threlkeld. The lane that once served Briery Mill now gives access to the cycle route.
Photo by Danny Bedlam
Looking south-west in October 1988 towards the platform of Briery Siding Halt. The lane to the right passes over the trackbed by means of a stone arch bridge beyond the platform, obscured by the trees. An interpretation board about the Bobbin mill is seen on the right.
Photo by Alan Young