YORK (OLD)

PHOTO GALLERY

POST-2013

[Source: Paul Wright]

The original station building at York looking north-east on 6 February 2015. When the station first opened in 1841 the building had only two storeys. A third floor was added in 185x shortly after the station had been taken over by the NER. The NER made York their headquarters and additional office space was required. The arched doorways seen in this view originally led into the booking hall.
Photo by Paul Wright


Entrance gates at the east end of the York (Old) station site seen on 6 February 2015. Directly opposite the gates is the NER Headquarters building that was built in 1906.
Photo by Paul Wright

The original Tudor style arch that was created in 1841 as a means of allowing the railway to enter into the historic city in a sympathetic manner. The arch was designed by the York architect, and close associate of George Hudson, George Townsend Andrews. In 1846 another arch was created to the south of this one to accommodate the goods lines.
P
hoto David Webdale from his Lost Railways of West Yorkshire website


Looking north-east at the site of York's 'old' station on 6 February 2015. The sections of trainshed roof had been moved from their original position.
P
hoto by Les Fifoot


The 1841 station building at York looking south-west on 6 February 2015.
Photo by Les Fifo
ot


The interior of the York City Council offices at the York 'old' station site seen on 6 February 2015.
Photo by Les Fifo
ot


Another view of the 1841 Tudor style arch that was created to allow the YNM railway to have a station inside the city walls. This view is from 6 February 2015.
Photo by Les Fifoot


The York station hotel looking north on 6 February 2015. The hotel had opened on 22 February 1853.
Photo by Les Fifo
ot

Click here to return to main page


Home Page
Last updated: Thursday, 21-May-2020 07:42:25 CEST
© 2004-2020 Disused Stations