YORK (OLD)

PHOTO GALLERY 1

[Source: Paul Wright]

York's old station as seen from the city wall and looking north-east in 1907. The station was in use as a carriage shed at this time and remained largely unaltered. The original departure platform had been removed to make space for an additional siding. The large building in the distance is the NER headquarters building that had opened in 1906.
Photo from the John Mann collection


Another view from the York city wall in 1907. In this view the old and the new stations can be seen. The old station is inside the wall to the right and the 1877 station is outside to the left.
Photo from the James Lake collection


By the 1930s when this view of York's old station was taken the departure platform trainshed roof had been removed. So too had the 'Scarborough Bay' platforms trainshed roof.
Photo from the John Alsop collection

The original city wall arch of 1841 seen from its outer side in 1935. York's old station can be glimpsed through the arch.
P
hoto from the John Mann collection


York 'old' station seen looking north-east in 1950.
P
hoto from the John Mann collection


A view looking north-east at York's old station in 1960. In 1956 British Railways built additional offices at the station. Some of the office accomodation straddled the tracks and can be seen in this view at the far end of the station. The 1842 goods warehouse can be seen to the right.
Photo from the John Mann collection



The York 'old' station looking north-east in September 1967. The track had been removed the year before to create space for yet more British Railways office accomodation.
Photo by Nick Catford


The 'Scarborough Bay' platforms at York (Old) station looking south in September 1967. The station had lost all of its track the previous year.
Photo by Nick Catford


In 1979 sections of the York 'old' station goods facilities could still be seen. However the 1842 goods warehouse had been demolished and replaced by Hudson House which can be seen in the distance.
Photo by John Mann


A view of the surviving section of the York 'old' station goods facilities as they were in 1979.
Photo by John Mann


Looking south-west from room W122A in 1989. The room was located in the 1956 structure that had straddled the platform area of the York 'old' station. The platform side of the main station building can be seen to the left. In the distance to the right is the retaining wall that had to be built in 1846 to allow the 'Scarborough Bay' platforms to be built. Sitting accross the trackbed straight ahead is Hudson House. The bus in the car park was used by the BR CCE department for training purposes.
Photo by Brian Johnson


The inside of room W122A seen in 1989. At this time the room was used as an office by Brian Johnson a BR freight manager.
Photo by Brian Johnson

Click here to see more photos


Home Page
Last updated: Thursday, 21-May-2020 07:42:25 CEST
© 2004-2020 Disused Stations