Wynn Hall Halt was opened by the Great Western Railway (GWR) on 1 May 1905 for the introduction of a rail-motor service that ran to Wrexham General via Rhos.
There was little by way of settlement in the area where the halt was located but the Wynn Hall Colliery was located close by. The halt was situated on the single track GWR Pontcysyllte Branch which had been opened by the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) in January 1867; the branch extended from the Llangollen Canal to the Llwyneinion Brick Works which lay just to the north of Rhos. Much of the branch (including the section between Pontcysyllte and Wynn Hall Colliery) had been converted from a horse-worked tramway that dated from 1805. During the late 1870s and through the 1880s the branch lost a lot of traffic as major industries closed and for that reason in 1896 the LNWR sold it to the GWR for £51,000. The GWR had aspirations to operate passenger services on part of the line and accordingly the company built the 3¾-mile Rhos Branch which connected Rhos (full name Rhosllanerchrugog) to its Shrewsbury and Chester main line at Rhos Junction (near Rhostyllen). Passenger services were introduced between Rhos and Wrexham General on 1 October 1901.
Wynn Hall Halt was located in the fork of the junction that was the point from which a new section of railway was created in 1867 linking the original course of the Pontcysyllte Tramway to the Llwyneinion Brick Works at Rhos. The halt was located on the 1867 alignment. A 6-inch scale map from 1914 shows a small structure on the west side of the line and a small hut was still present in 1953. A signal box was also provided for the introduction of the passenger service. It is known that the other halts opened on the line had platforms so it is likely that Wynn Hall Halt would have been the same. The platform was most likely to have been a simple timber structure.
The November 1906 timetable below (click here for larger version) showed ten trains in each direction on Monday-to-Friday with two additional services on Saturday. The journey time to Wrexham was 25 minutes.
Bus services were introduced to the area after 1910 and they competed for the railway’s traffic. They proved to be more convenient than the trains and offered more of a ‘door-to-door’ service. Moreover, by 1909 Wynn Hall Colliery had closed removing almost all potential passenger traffic at the terminus. On 22 March 1915 the GWR cut back the rail-motor service to Rhos and Wynn Hall Halt was closed completely. The railway continued to be used for goods services until 1953 when it closed between Pant (south of Rhos) and Pontcysyllte.
CLICK HERE TO SEE AN OS MAP SHOWING THE PASSENGER RAILWAYS OF THE WREXHAM AREA AT THEIR GREATEST EXTENT
CLICK HERE FOR A DETAILED HISTORY OF WYNN HALL HALT
- Awdry, C. British railway companies (Guild Publishing,1990)
- Bodlander, A; Hambley, M; Leadbetter, H; Southern, D and Weatherley, S.Wrexham Railways (Bridge Books, 1992)
- Bodlander, A; Hambley, M; Leadbetter, H; Southern, D and Weatherley, S.Wrexham Railways vol.2 (Bridge Books, 1993)
- Bodlander, A; Hambley, M; Leadbetter, H; Southern, D and Weatherley, S. Marcher Railways: the Railways of Wrexham and Oswestry A Photographic Journey (Bridge Books, 2008)
- Clinker, C R. Clinker’s register of closed passenger stations and goods depots in England, Scotland and Wales - 1830 -1977 (Avon-Anglia,1978)
- Cobb, M H The Railways of Great Britain - Volume 1 (Third Edition), Author, 2015
- Quick, Michael Passenger Railway Stations in Great Britain - A Chronology (RCHS, 2009 and on-line supplements)
To see the
other stations that have closed on the Rhos Branch
click on the station name: Rhostyllen, Legacy, Rhos, Brook Street Halt, and Pant Halt
See also Fennant Road Halt, Aberderfyn Halt and Ponkey Crossing Halt from
the Legacy Branch
Click here to see Register of Closed Railways 1901 - 1994