Aberderfyn Halt was opened by the Great Western Railway (GWR) on 5 June 1905 for the introduction of a rail-motor service that ran to Wrexham General via Legacy.
Located to the south of the Aberderfyn Road level crossing, in the district of Ponkey, the Halt was situated on the 1¾ mile Ponkey Branch line that had opened from Gardden Lodge Junction (on the Shrewsbury - Chester Line) to Ponkey on 1 August 1868. The branch was extended by 1¼ miles to Legacy on 27 August 1876 and it was connected to the Rhos branch (at Legacy) in 1901. In order to introduce a passenger service onto the line the section between Ponkey level crossing and Legacy had to be upgraded with improved signaling and it became titled on maps as the Legacy Branch.
In 1907 there were a number of industries in the vicinity of Aberderfyn Halt. The halt was provided to serve those industries and the nearby local residential areas. No photos are known to survive of Aberderfyn Halt. It was likely to have consisted of a timber platform with a simple wooden shelter.
The November 1906 timetable seen below (click here for larger version) showed twelve trains in each direction Monday-to-Friday with three additional services on Saturday. The journey time to Wrexham was 15 minutes.
Electric trams ran to Wrexham from High Street which was a short distance to the east (on a line opened 4 April 1903). The trams competed with the railway and the rail-motor service was withdrawn on 22 March 1915. Aberderfyn Halt closed completely. Although it was disconnected from the Rhos branch two years after the passenger service ceased the branch continued to serve local industries until 31 August 1964.
Tickets from Michael Stewart and route map by Alan Young
CLICK HERE TO SEE AN OS MAP SHOWING THE PASSENGER RAILWAYS OF THE WREXHAM AREA AT THEIR GREATEST EXTENT
CLICK HERE FOR A DETAILED HISTORY OF ABERDERFYN HALT AND THE PONKEY BRANCH
- Awdry, C. British railway companies (Guild Publishing,1990)
- Bodlander, A; Hambley, M; Leadbetter, H; Southern, D and Weatherley, S.Wrexham Railways (Bridge Books, 1992)
- Bodlander, A; Hambley, M; Leadbetter, H; Southern, D and Weatherley, S.Wrexham Railways vol.2 (Bridge Books, 1993)
- Bodlander, A; Hambley, M; Leadbetter, H; Southern, D and Weatherley, S. Marcher Railways: the Railways of Wrexham and Oswestry A Photographic Journey (Bridge Books, 2008)
- Clinker, C R. Clinker’s register of closed passenger stations and goods depots in England, Scotland and Wales - 1830 -1977 (Avon-Anglia,1978)
- Cobb, M H The Railways of Great Britain - Volume 1 (Third Edition), Author, 2015
- Quick, Michael Passenger Railway Stations in Great Britain - A Chronology (RCHS, 2009 and on-line supplements).
To see the
other stations on the Legacy Branch click on the station name:
Fennant Road Halt and Ponkey Crossing Halt
See also: Rhostyllen, Legacy, Rhos, Brook Street Halt, Pant Halt and
Wynn Hall Halt from the Rhos Branch
Click here to see Register of Closed Railways 1901 - 1994