Notes: Queensferry Station opened as Queen's Ferry on the 1st May 1848. The Station was part of the Chester and Holyhead Railway Companies line which was engineered by Robert Stephenson.
for that company. Indeed the line was of strategic importance as it connected London to Ireland via the Holyhead Ferry.
||The line opened to Bangor on the 1st May 1848, between Holyhead and Llanfair PG on the 1st August 1848 and finally, following completion of the Britannia Bridge across the Menai Straights, in its entirety on the 18th March 1850. On the 1st of January 1850 the Chester and Holyhead Railway was absorbed into the LNWR and the line became an important truck route
Queensferry Station was situated on an embankment on the west side of a bridge that crossed a road that became Station Road. When the station first opened the line at this point had two tracks but later in the 19th Century it was quadrupled. Platforms were provided for all lines with three platforms giving four platform faces, an island platform being located between the up and down fast lines. The station was served by local and long distance trains and had substantial brick built facilities.
the mid 1980's the line was reduced back to two tracks but it remains busy with a variety of traffic. The street level booking office is still extant and in use as a retail tyre business.
|Queensferry lost its goods service on 4.5.1964 but a private siding remained in use. The station closed to passengers on the 14th February 1966; the private siding remained open at this time but later closed and the track has now been lifted. After closure the station was largely demolished but some sections of it do still survive including the eastbound slow line platform. In
For a full history of the Chester - Holyhead line see the North Wales Coast Railway web site
Further reading: The Chester & Holyhead Railway by Peter E. Baughan (1972) - Volume 1 & 2, Published by David & Charles ISBN 10-0715356178 and Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Vol. 11, North & Mid Wales by P.E. Baughan, published by David & Charles (1991) ISBN-10: 0946537593. Tickets from Michael Stewart
To see other stations on the Chester - Holyhead line click on the station name: Sandycroft, Connahs Quay, Bagillt, Holywell Junction, Mostyn, Talacre, Prestatyn (1st site), Prestatyn (2nd site and Dystrth branch platform), Foryd, Llandulas, Llysfaen, Old Colwyn, Mochdre & Pabo, Llandudno Junction (1st site), Conway, Conway Marsh, Llanfairfechan, Aber, Menai Bridge, Britannia Bridge, Gaerwen & Valley