[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 1.3.1862
Location: The north side of the Pentre-Llanrhaeadr to Llandyrnog Road
Company on opening: Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway
Date closed to passengers: 2.2.1953
Date closed completely: 2.2.1953
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Denbighshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ094632
Date of visit: 13th September 2009

Notes: Llanrhaiadr stationwas situated on the Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway (DRCR) which was incorporated under an act of July 1860 opening in stages between March 1862 and October 1864. Llanrhaiadr opened with the first section of the line to come into use, between Denbigh and Ruthin, on the 1st March 1863.

The station was 3.5 miles from Denbigh and about 0.5 mile to the east of the village of Pentre-Llanrhaeadr. Situated on the north side of a level crossing Llanrhaiadr station was provided with one low platform on the west side of the line on which stood a two storey building that contained a booking office, waiting areas, toilets and staff accommodation including a house for the station master. The toilets were in a single storey block at the north end of the main station building. A goods loop was also provided at the station but goods facilities were very limited.

When the station first opened the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) operated the first public services on behalf of the DRCR. Within a year, when the line had been extended to Gwyddelwern DRCR were operating their own trains. By 1866 however the DRCR was in financial difficulty and services were once again provided by the LNWR.  The LNWR formerly absorbed the line into its ownership on the 1st July 1879.

In 1875 Llanrhaiadr Station was served by five trains in each direction on weekdays. Three of the northbound services ran from Corwen to Denbigh, whilst two ran from Ruthin to Denbigh. Some services went on Chester. In the southbound direction three services ran to Corwen and two to Ruthin.  By 1904 the Llanrhaiadr was served by five trains in each direction running between Corwen and Denbigh and two additional services running between Chester and Ruthin.

In 1923 the station became part of the London Midland Scottish Railway (LMS). The General strike of 1926 saw a reduction of passenger services to three trains in each direction but the following year six services were provided. In 1939 Llanrhaiadr Station had eight trains in each direction. Six of the services ran on the Denbigh to Corwen axis and two on the Chester to Ruthin.

Passenger Services were reduced during the Second World War. They did revert to six trains in each direction after the end of the war. In 1948 the Denbigh to Corwen line became part of the British Railways (London Midland Region). Road competition began to effect the line and by the early 1950s withdrawal of passenger trains on the section of line between Ruthin and Corwen was proposed. The last scheduled passenger services to run south of Ruthin ended in February 1953.

Being in a fairly isolated position Llanrhaiadr station was closed to all traffic from the 2nd February 1953. Passenger trains, running between Chester and Ruthin continued to pass through the station until they were also withdrawn on the 30th April 1962. Complete closure of the line came on the 1st March 1965 after which the track through Llanrhaiadr Station was lifted.

The station building was demolished in the 1970s and today there is nothing to show that a station ever existed at this location.

Tickets from Michael Stewart, Bradshaw from Nick Catford and Route Map by Alan Young. Click here for more tickets
Source: From Chester to Holyhead the Branch Lines by Bill Rear. Oxford Publishing 2003
ISBN 978-0-860935-69-8

To see other stations on the Denbigh, Ruthin & Corwen Railway click on the station name: Denbigh, Rhewl, Ruthin, Eyarth, Nantclwyd, Derwen, Gwyddelwern & Corwen

Llanrhaiadr Station looking south in c1906. The goods loop is seen on the left.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

Llanrhaiadr Station looking north
Painting by Derek Roberts. Click here to see more paintings by Derek Roberts

Looking north from the site of Llanrhaiadr Station in September 2009
hoto by Paul Wright

Looking south from the site of Llanrhaiadr Station in September 2009
hoto by Paul Wright




[Source: Paul Wright]

Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 14:33:27 CEST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations