Notes: This station served the village of Goxhill, and was
a market day only station with only a few trains calling here
on market days. Originally the service was Tuesdays only and
from 1936 it was Mondays only. Originally named Goxhill, it
was renamed to Wassand in 1904 to avoid confusion with Goxhill
in North Lincolnshire. Wassand was an early closure on 14.98.1953.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE HULL &
A line connecting the Hull-Scarborough branch at Arram to a
site near Hornsea Mere had been proposed in 1846/7 by the York
and North Midland Railway but never built due to the downfall
of chairman George Hudson amidst a financial scandal.
A new line connecting Hull and Hornsea was promoted by Hornsea
resident and Hull timber merchant Joseph Armytage Wade, the
aim of such a line being to develop Hornsea as a fashionable
Victorian seaside resort.
The first sod was turned by Wade on 8.10.1862. Problems were
encountered during construction due to the nature of the local
soil; there were further issues with poor workmanship and materials
used by the contractors. A late change of plan saw the line
extended from the proposed terminus at Hornsea Bridge to the
seafront; this meant construction of an embankment which required
the ground to be piled adding substantially to the already escalating
Opened on 28.3.1864, the line ran in a fairly direct North
Easterly direction from Hull, the original Hull terminus was
Wilmington station, though after 1st June 1864 trains ran via
the Victoria Dock branch into Hull's Paragon station. Due to
lower than expected receipts and consequent financial difficulties,
the Hull and Hornsea Railway merged with the North Eastern Railway
The line was constructed as a single track but was doubled
throughout in the early 1900s. Diesel railcars were introduced
from 71.1957 and operated local services from that date. Centralised
Traffic Control (automated signaling and level crossings) was
proposed in the early 1960's, but this was overtaken by the
'Beeching Report'. Closure to passengers came on 19.10.1964,
with Goods services to Hornsea Bridge continuing until 3.5.1965.
Today, the trackbed of the railway forms the 'Hornsea
Rail Trail', also part of the 'Trans
Pennine Trail'- the majority of station buildings still
exist and the trackbed is virtually complete throughout.
Further reading 'The
Lost Railways of Holderness' by Peter Price (Hutton Press)
ISBN 0 0907033 86 5. Route map drawn by Alan Young.
To see the other
stations on the Hull & Hornsea Railway click on the station
Swine, Skirlaugh, Ellerby
Ellerby (2nd station), Whitedale, Sigglesthorne,
& Hornsea Town