Station Name: VELVET HALL
[Source: Alan Young]
Velvet Hall Station Gallery 1: c1900 - c1963
Looking east at the station building on the down platform of Velvet Hall c1900. The building was designed by Newcastle architects, John and Benjamin Green who were responsible for a series of fine stations on the East Coast main line between Newcastle and Tweedmouth. This building is less ambitious, but has dignity; it is stone-built with mullioned windows and dormers on the upper storey. Above the doorway is a small, round-headed opening possibly intended to accommodate a clock. The quadruple linked chimneystacks and the pair beyond are of stone, but the tinting of the photograph has emphasised the red brick of the single stack beyond. There are single-storey extensions to the building. In 1905 a major two-storey extension would be added, sympathetically designed and built of stone, at the far end of the building.
Copyright photo from J C Dean and John Alsop collections
1897 1:2,500 OS map. The single-word form, ‘Velvethall’, was not used by the railway. Considering its rural setting the facilities at Velvet Hall station appear lavish. The main station building is on the down (south-east) platform and a waiting shed faces it on up platform. South-west of the passenger station a loop is provided on the up side whilst on the down side a lengthy siding passes through the lime depot and leads to the goods shed (not named) and from it two sidings enter the coal depot where the weigh office is indicated by ‘W.M.’ (weighing machine). The nearest village, Horncliffe, is about a mile north along the road over which the railway crosses south-west of the station.
Architectural drawing by John Addyman (from North Eastern Express No.126, May 1992).
Looking east at the station building on the down platform of Velvet Hall before October 1911. The two-storey section of the building beyond the second dormer, with cleaner stonework, is the 1905 extension to the building. Far right is the single-road goods warehouse. The oil lantern casements are of a more dignified design than those seen on the c1900 photo that they have replaced. The bench is of the coiled serpent style beloved of the NER.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection
Velvet Hall station looking south-west c1950. Beyond the LNER running-in nameboard on the down platform are the gents’ toilets then the two-storey station building, with the extension of 1905 nearest the camera. The prominent most distant gable is the goods warehouse. On the up platform the timber-built NER enclosed waiting shed can be seen with its remarkably tall pent roof. The signal box is at the far end of the platform. No footbridge or subway was provided at Velvet Hall, only the barrow crossings in the foreground and at the far end of the station which the gentleman in the hat and greatcoat has chosen not to use.
Photo from Alan Young and John Mann collections
Looking north-east at Velvet Hall station in September 1955, shortly after its closure to passengers. Behind the down platform (right) is the goods warehouse with a rake of goods vans on its siding. The station building is largely hidden by the warehouse. On the up side is the signal box and the platform with its distinctive NER passenger shelter.
Copyright photo by R M Casserley
The single-road goods warehouse and station building are seen at Velvet Hall looking east
circa late 1950s.
Photo by John F Mallon / NERA
Velvet Hall station looking south-west in 1958, three years after closure to passengers. On the down platform (left) are the station building and goods warehouse, and the tall NER timber waiting shed is still in place on the up platform. At the far end of the station are the signal box and a barrow crossing, and the trackwork of the goods yard can be seen in the distance.
Copyright photo from Stations UK
Looking north-east towards Velvet Hall station in 1960. Although closed to passengers the three-coach train appears to have stopped at the down platform. The NER signal box and up platform waiting shed are seen to the left. The goods warehouse is seen to the right of the locomotive; this angle includes the awning that provides shelter when goods are being transferred to or from road vehicles. The loco is BR Standard 2MT No.78046, based at Hawick (64G) shed at this time. She was built at BR Darlington works in October 1955 and was withdrawn in November 1966 from 64A, St Margarets shed. Photo from Milepost 92½.
Velvet Hall signal box, looking west, c1960.
Photo by Roy Lambeth
The signal box and disused up platform are glimpsed from a Berwick-bound train on 7 April 1962.
Photo by Brian Johnson
Looking south c1963 from the up platform at Velvet Hall station. On the down platform the single-storey buildings to the left are the gents’ toilet and store with the two-storey station building beyond. The goods warehouse, seen on earlier photographs, has been demolished; it stood close to the position of the wagon and brake van. Perhaps the dog is the intended subject of the photograph.
Photo from NERA / Ken Hoole Study Centre
Click here for Velvet Hall Station Gallery 2:
Winter 1963/64 - June 2013