Station Name: TWIZELL

[Source: Nick Catford]


Twizell Station Gallery 2:
Winter 1963/64 - December 2012


Looking south-west from the up platform of the abandoned Twizell station, possibly in winter 1963-64, as a single-coach local passenger train trundles towards Kelso and St Boswells. This station closed to all traffic in 1955 but passenger trains continued to run through it until June 1964, and goods trains until March 1965. A pair of railway cottages is seen beyond this platform/
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection
Looking north-east at Twizell, possibly in winter 1963-64, almost a decade after the station closed to all traffic. The partially staggered arrangement of the platforms is apparent. All buildings on the platforms have been demolished but the signal box is still in place. The line is still open at this time both to passenger and goods traffic.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

Looking south-west from the disused station at Twizell, possibly in winter 1963-64.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

The signal box at Twizell station, seen from the down platform possibly in winter 1963-64. This box was built circa 1880 when the block system was introduced on the NER Kelso Branch, and it operated until final closure of the line in 1965. Similar boxes were found at Norham and Velvet Hall, though at the former the box was closed and replaced shortly after 1900. The station house, seen beyond the signal box, was a late addition to the station and was some distance from the platforms.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

The north-east end of the disused Twizell station, possibly in winter 1963-64. The down platform is to the right, with edge stones missing close to the ramp. The up platform ends some distance behind the photographer and the tarmac path continues from its ramp to the signal box and level crossing. The stationmaster’s house is partly concealed by the signal box. The station formerly possessed a small goods yard to the right, beyond the crossing; since its closure in 1953 the sidings have been removed but the loading gauge is still in place.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

Looking north towards Twizell station, possibly in winter 1963-64. Twizell Up Distant signal carries an ‘X’ indicating that it is not in use.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

The platforms of the former Twizell station are seen on 2 January 1976, looking north-east along the trackbed. All of the platform buildings and the signal box have been demolished. The stationmaster’s house beyond the left (up) platform is concealed behind the trees.
Photo by Alan Young

Looking north-east towards Norham from the site of the barrow crossing in September 1977; the site of the coal siding is seen on the right. The stationmaster's house is seen on the left.
Photo by John Mann

Looking north-east from the south end of the up platform in September 1977, The two platforms were partially staggered with the down platform starting where the bushes are seen on the right.
Photo by John Mann


Looking north-east at the site of Twizell station in June 2011. The platforms have been invaded
by vegetation.
Photo by Alan Young

The former stationmaster’s house at Twizell looking north in June 2011. The platforms are behind
the photographer.
Photo by Alan Young

Looking south-west at the site of Twizell station in December 2012. The former down platform is visible on the left.
Photo by Ewan Crawford from his RAILSCOT web site




 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]




Last updated: Wednesday, 27-Dec-2017 11:30:06 CET
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations