[Source: Nick Catford]

Falsgrave Tunnel was built by cut and cover; a cutting was excavated, the brickwork was formed within the cutting which was then covered over. The Act of Parliament stated that there must be at least two feet of earth above the apex of the tunnel which is 260 yards long. Construction of the tunnel within the cutting started in August 1882 and the first permanent rails were laid on 2r4th March 1883. The tunnel was completed in June 1883.

The south portal of Falsgrave Tunnel. Scarborough Central Station is seen on the right.

The south portal of Falsgrave Tunnel

The south portal of Falsgrave Tunnel

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

Home Page
Last updated: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
© 1998-2007 Disused Stations