[Source: Nick Catford]

Date opened: 1941 or 1942
Location: In fields south of the junction with Avenue East West and Street 1
Company on opening:

Thorp Arch Military Railway

Date closed to passengers: By October 1946
Date closed completely: By October 1946
Company on closing:

Thorp Arch Military Railway

Present state: Demolished - no trace remains
County: Yorkshire
OS Grid Ref: SE446456
Date of visit: 12.4.2013

Notes: River Platform was one of four stops on the Thorp Arch circular railway. It was opened in 1941/2 during the construction of the Royal Ordnance Factory. The platform was initially used by construction workers and then by the regular workforce which, at its peak, reached 18,000. During WW2 the factory operated 24 hours a day with three shifts. River, and the three other platforms, allowed workers to disembark close to their actual place of work.

River consisted of a single platform on a sharp curve constructed of earth and cinders and faced with old sleepers. It had electric lighting and a nameboard but the 1962 map, below, shows no waiting shelters. It was sited at the south-east corner of the factory site, close to the River Wharfe and the east junction with the Church Fenton - Harrogate railway line.

Two of the platforms were brought into use in November 1941, whilst the other two were used from 19 April 1942. The regular passenger service ceased in 1957 but River Platform had ceased to be used by October 1946. No photographs of the platform in use or after closure have been found.

ROF Thorp Arch by Mike Christensen - two articles in Archive (magazine) Nos. 22 and 23 June/September 1999.

To see other stations on the Thorp Arch Military Railway
click on the station name:
Ranges Platform, Roman Road Platform & Walton Platform

See also Thorp Arch station

The site of River platform looking east in April 2013.
Photo by Nick Catford

Military sites are not generally shown on Ordnance Survey maps, so all maps published during the 1940s and 1950s show the land as it was before ROF Thorp Arch was built. This 1962 1:2,500 OS map shows the platform after the factory closed and the track was lifted, but before surrounding buildings were demolished. No waiting shelters are shown.

Thorpe Arch East signal box and junction c1964. River platform is out of view to the left beyond the junction in the centre of the picture. The signal box is typical of those built in WW2 with a flat reinforced concrete roof.
Photo from Wetherby Historical Trust from Matt Higgins Flickr photostream




[Source: Nick Catford]

Home Page
Last updated: Monday, 22-May-2017 13:02:24 CEST
© 1998-2013 Disused Stations