Notes: Rhosddu Halt was situated on the Great Central Railway’s (GCR) Wrexham Central to Bidston line, the first section of which had originally been opened from Wrexham to Buckley in 1866 by the Wrexham, Mold & Connahs Quay Railway (WM&CQR). The line had become part of the GCR on 1st January 1905. On 1st August 1889 the WM&CQR started to operate a passenger service between Wrexham Central and Brymbo. Brymbo was the northern terminus of a line that branched off the main line less than half-a-mile to the north of Rhossdu.
In 1905 the GCR introduced a ‘railmotor’ onto the Brymbo service and added halts to secure more traffic. In July 1906 Rhosddu Halt was opened east of a road bridge which provided access to Wrexham Colliery. Being on a double-track railway it had two platforms which were linked to the road by a sloping footpath.
Brymbo to Wrexham Central, and Rhosddu Halt closed to regular passenger services. The halt was used by workmen’s trains up to and after 1923, by which time it had become part of the London & North Eastern Railway.
||Although Rhosddu was located on the main line it was served only by passenger trains between Brymbo and Wrexham Central. There were four services in each direction on Monday to Friday but an additional six services ran on Saturdays. The GCR service to Brymbo struggled to compete with a GWR service that also ran from Wrexham to the village. By the end of the first decade of the 20th century a bus service was also competing against the railway. On 1st March 1917 the GCR withdrew the passenger service from
By the 1930s the halt had been demolished. Passenger services continue to pass its site.
- The Wirral Railway and its Predecessors – T B Maund - Lightmoor Press 2009 ISBN978-1899889389
- The Wrexham, Mold & Connah’s Quay Railway including The Buckley Railway – James I C Boyd – Oakwood Press 1991 ISBN 978-0853614173
- The Wrexham & Ellesmere Railway – S C Jenkins & J M Strange - Oakwood Press 2004 ISBN 978-0853616177
- The Wrexham, Mold & Connahs Quay Railway – J M Dunn - Oakwood Press 1957
- The Wrexham & Minera Railway article in Railway World, Rex Christiansen – Feb 1987.
- North Wales Branch Line Album, C C Green, Ian Allan 1983 ISBN 978-0711012523
- Forgotten Railways North & Mid Wales – Rex Christiansen - David & Charles 1976 ISBN 978-0715370599
- Wrexham Railways a Collection of Pictures – A Bodlander, M Hambly, H Leadbetter, D Southern & S Weatherley – 1992 ISBN 1-872424-28-7
- Wrexham Railways a Collection of Pictures – Volume 2 – A Bodlander, M Hambly, H Leadbetter, D Southern & S Weatherley – 1992 ISBN 1-872424-35-X
- Railway passenger stations in Great Britain: a chronology by Michael Quick (Railway & Canal Historical Society 2009)
- Clinker’s Register of Closed Passenger Stations and Goods Depots by C R Clinker (Pub: Avon Anglia 1978)
Ticket from Michael Stewart, route map drawn by Alan Young, Bradshaw from Chris Hind.
To see other stations on the Wrexham Central to Bidston Line click
Wrexham Central, Wrexham Exchange, Hope High Level, Buckley (1st station), Chester Golf Club Halt, Birkenhead Junction Golf Club Platform, Sealand Rifle Range Halt, Burton Point, Storeton,
Liscard & Poulton, Seacombe
See also stations on the WMCQR Brymbo Branch
Highfield Road Halt, Moss & Pentre, New Broughton Road Halt, Plas Power (WM&CQR), Brymbo (WM&CQR)
Rhosddu Motive Power Depot