Notes: Otterspool Station was located in leafy parkland in
South Liverpool. It opened as part of the Garston and Liverpool
Railway which linked Garston Dock with a new station nearer
to the city at Brunswick. This line opened on 1.6.1864. Just
over a year later on the 5.7.1865 the line was absorbed by the
Cheshire Lines Committee (CLC).
On 1.8.1873 the CLC opened a direct line from a point just to
the northwest of Garston Dock to Manchester. From that point
the station became part of the CLC main line linking the two
northern cities. On 2.3.1874 a new Liverpool terminus was opened
right in the city centre called Liverpool
Otterspool Station had its main facilities on the eastbound
platform. A footbridge came straight out of the ticket office
which was at road level and connected across to the Liverpool
(westbound) platform. Being somewhat isolated from populated
areas and not very far away from other stations on the line
Otterspool was an early candidate for closure and it was closed
to passengers on 5.3.1951.
The line closed to passenger services in April 1972 but re-opened
as part of the Merseyrail Northern Line in January 1978.
For many years after closure the platforms could clearly be
seen but today, if anything does exist it is obscured by vegetation.
For other stations on the Liverpool
to Manchester CLC line click on the station name: Liverpool
St. James, Brunswick,