Station Name: NORWICH VICTORIA

[Source: Glen Kilday]


Norwich Victoria Station Gallery 2: 31 March 1962 - April 2018

On 31 March 1962 the Railway Correspondence and Travel Society organised ‘The Great Eastern Commemorative Steam Tour' of East Anglia. The special train is seen here approaching Norwich Victoria hauled by Britannia Pacific 70003 ‘John Bunyan’. The sidings to the left of the locomotive were a minerals facility that was added some years after the station opened. The brick supporting walls on the right remain in place in 2018, the track-bed used as a cycle path. The locomotive was built in 1951 and spent its first 12 years at East Anglian sheds before ending its days at Carlisle Kingmoor. It was scrapped at Campbell’s yard in Airdrie in November 1967.
Photo from Jim Lake collection

RCTS The Great Eastern Commemorative Steam Tour’ of 31 March 1962 is seen after arrival at Norwich Victoria Station. The goods shed remained in place but some trackwork removed since the end of WW2 in 1945.  The wagons to the left were on the former platform line that had lost its train-shed. The train was, at least in part, made up of pre-war LNER coaches.
Photo from John Mann collecti
on

The scene of the final remains of Norwich Victoria station on a snowy day, 18 January 1966. The general goods facilities closed less than two weeks later, at the end of the month. When this photograph was taken all trace of the station buildings had been removed although the ‘V’ shape of the original station layout can still be recognised. The presence of railway wagons and the tyre tracks of road vehicles suggest that some goods traffic was still being transferred at Victoria station. The rails were removed some time later after which the railhead was at the Coal Concentration Depot located on the site of the nearby Sainsbury store.
Photo copyright Eastern Daily Press Library

The site of Norwich Victoria station as it was in January 1971.  Railway infrastructure has gone and the site appears to be used as a lorry park.
Photo by John Mann

Norwich Victoria station site seen from the roundabout at St Stephen’s Street in an undated photograph probably around the early 1970s.
Photo copyright Eastern Daily Press Library

In August 1972 Norwich Victoria station site had been closed and the line cut back to the coal yard.  All signalling infrastructure was gone but the wrecked remains of the signal box were still to be seen.  The sidings were in use as a coal concentration depot.
Photo by Gordon Edgar from his Flickr photostream

Norwich coal concentration depot close to the site of Norwich Victoria station pictured in 1975. The changing Norwich skyline can be seen in the background with the former station site occupied by an office building and the multi-storey car-park at the corner of St. Stephen’s Street completed. A diesel shunter is at work, presumably owned by a contractor and not part of British Railway’s fleet.
Photo by Stuart Ray from his Flickr photostream

A June 2016 photograph taken from close to the same location as the 1948 image. There is no sign that railway infrastructure once covered this extensive car park and office structure, however the building is appropriately named ‘Victoria House’. It is occupied by an insurance business, Marsh Ltd.
Photo by Nigel Thompson reproduced from Geograph under creative commons licence

This view from the side of Queen’s Road in April 2018 would have looked directly across the forecourt towards the station building at Norwich Victoria. The formerly flat forecourt area has been landscaped and the area built over.
Photo by Glen Kilday

Standing at the location of the locomotive shed entrance at Norwich Victoria in April 2018 looking towards the bridge that carried Grove Road over the tracks. Passenger trains used the right hand arch which was shared with lines that accessed the shed and loops.  Trains to and from the general goods facilities used the centre and left hand arches.
Photo by Glen Kilday

The site of the once extensive coal yard beside Norwich Victoria station was, In April 2018, occupied by a Sainsbury’s super-store: this view from the location of the former main line.
Photo by Glen Kilday

The view from under the Southwell Road bridge on the approach to the site of Norwich Victoria station in April 2018.  The road is now called Brazen Gate. The signal box was on the right behind where the car-park kiosk now stands.  Rails under that arch led to the extensive coal yard that stayed in use until the 1980s.  The centre and left hand arches led to the station and general goods facility.  The road has been infilled above track level so as to rise to the level of the road that crossed the railway.
Photo by Glen Kilday

Looking over the extensive former station site at Norwich Victoria seen from the corner of Queen’s Road and Grove Road (now called Brazen Gate) in April 2018.  In the foreground was the general goods facility with the goods shed and station buildings nearer the location of the office block.
Photo by Glen Kilday



 

 

 

[Source: Glen Kilday]




Last updated: Monday, 14-May-2018 18:49:02 CEST
© 1998-2018 Disused Stations
is f