Station Name: NEWMARKET (2nd station)
[Source: Nick Catford]
1902 1:2,500 OS map shows the second station at Newmarket shortly after opening but before any development around the station has been established. There is a substantial forecourt on the down side of the line approached by a new road called The Avenue. Buildings are shown on both platforms, each with glazed canopies, the canopy on the down platform being considerably shorter than that on the up. A bay platform with a passing loop is seen at the north end of the up platform. To the north of the station, on the down side, is a new cattle dock with pens on the dock, and more pens to the north.