LONDONDERRY VICTORIA ROAD

PHOTO GALLERY

1899 to 1955

[Source: Jim McBride & Paul Wright]
 
A view looking north at Londonderry Victoria Road during the final stages of its construction in 1899.

Londonderry Victoria Road seen from the air in 1933. The Craigavon bridge is also seen. At this time it was a double deck rail and road bridge the lower deck having mixed gauge track that was used to transfer wagons between Victoria Road and Waterside stations and the town.
Copyright photo with permission from Britain from Above

Londonderry Victoria Road station seen from the air in 1933.
Copyright photo with permission from Britain from Above

A mixed passenger/goods service is seen departing from Londonderry Victoria Road in 1948. At the head of the train is CDR locomotive 'Columbkille'. The photo was taken after recent rationalisation work had been carried out which included closure and demolition of the station signal cabin. Disturbed ground close to the photographer indicates where point rodding from the signal box had previously been.
Photo by P Ransome Wallis


On 25 May 1953 two locomotives are seen on a two coach train. At the head of the train is CDR locomotive 'Blanche' and behind is sister locomotive 'Columbkille'. Two locomotives were certainly not required for such a short train. The double heading was arranged so that a locomotive that had brought in a Whitsuntide Holiday excursion train (see coach to the left) could be returned to Strabane for servicing as part of an ordinary service train.
Photo by Neil Sprinks


Looking south from the station platform at Victoria Road on 27 November 1954. There was only one month to go before closure and scene has an air of despair about it. There are however still a couple of wagons in the sidings.
Copyright photo by Michael Bunch from the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre collection


Londonderry Victoria Road station seen from the Craigavon bridge on 26 February 1955. Train sevices had ceased on 31 December 1954 but the station signage is still in place. The Irish standard gauge box vans are standing on the 5ft 3inch siding that was installed in 1941 to facilitate transfer between the two gauges of what had been at that time the LMS NCC.
Copyright photo by Michael Bunch from the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre collection


The very last passenger train to visit Londonderry Victoria Road did so on 30 June 1955. It was an excursion train from Strabane. The passengers on that service were being taken to Portrush which was accomplished via a short walk between Victoria Road and Waterside station. At Waterside a train would have been waiting to complete the journey to Portrush. The day trippers would have retraced their steps in the opposite direction at the end of the day. In this view the coaches for that excursion can be seen at Victoria Road waiting for their passengers to return. The motive power for the service would have returned to Strabane for servicing.
Copyright photo by Michael Bunch from the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre collection

Another view of the 30 June 1955 excursion coaches at Londonderry Victoria Road station.
Copyright photo by Michael Bunch from the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre collection

Click here to see more photos

 

 

 

[Source: Jim McBride & Paul Wright]




Last updated: Monday, 21-Sep-2020 21:32:37 CEST
© 2004-2020 Disused Stations