Station Name: HOVE (First Station)
[Source: Nick Catford]
Holland Road goods yard in October 1961. The yard occupies the site of the first Hove station and good yard. The station was top right, beyond the shed with the curved roof. Ex-LB&SCR E4 0-6-2T 32468 is seen shunting workmen's coaches (The Lancing Belle) at Holland Road Goods Depot, Hove in October 1961. The cramped situation of Brighton railway works and the lack of space to expand was a constant problem for the chief engineers of London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. In 1910 the company purchased 66 acres of land at Lancing near Shoreham for a carriage and wagon works to relieve the pressure on Brighton. The works were constructed in 1911 and opened the following January with many employees transferred from Brighton. Because of the rural situation of the new factory the railway operated a special daily train from Brighton for the workforce. This became known as the Lancing Belle. Ex-SR N 2-6-0 31871 is passing by. Hove power station stood beyond the yard to the left and was served by the siding seen at extreme left. St. Cuthbert's church is seen in the background. It stood on the corner of Holland Road and Cromwell Road and was demolished in 1984 and a block of flats named Bellmead now stands on the site.
Photo by Ian Noble from his Flickr photostrea