Station Name: DAGGONS ROAD

 

[Source: Nick Catford]

A rather delightful view of Daggons Road station, showing the aloof running-in board, before July 1906 (date of postmark). The spelling of the station was changed from 'Daggens' to 'Daggons' in 1904 as shown on the nearest platform bench. A number of noticeboards can be seen leaning against the platform buildings. As there is no room to mount additional boards and they already bear posters it must be assumed the loose boards were publicising some form of special event, excursions perhaps. The booking office is brick built and co-joined the station house. There was a second such structure behind the booking office, also co-joining the house and its chimney is visible to the immediate right of the house. This was probably a goods office. A third, smaller, building is visible in the background but its purpose is unclear. Of the two post-mounted platform lamps, that nearest the camera is mounted on what was probably a wooden post while that further along has a cast iron post. The third lamp, on the dock behind the fence, would appear to also have a wooden post. In later years all these lamps would find themselves mounted upon old sections of rail. Just beyond the end of the platform and to the left the points which led to the dock behind the platform and to the brick and pottery works can be seen, the latter located well out of view to the left. On the brick and pottery siding stands a LSWR open wagon. It has round-top ends but does not appear to be a tarpaulin wagon. The LSWR had a fleet of both types, the non tarpaulin versions, which could nevertheless still be sheeted, being to Diagram 1309. The wagon has a five-digit number beginning '14' but the remainder is illegible. The livery of the station at this time was probably as follows: doors and metalwork dark brown, wood planking cream or salmon, window frames white, noticeboard frames would have been brown with the heading, if present, in cream with LSWR lettering in black while cast iron signage, such as that at the platform end, was white with red lettering. None of the noticeboards seen here appear to have the LSWR heading. The livery of other signage, such as the running-in board, is unclear and could have been cream, salmon or white letters on a brown or black background. Detail of the bench nameplate is none too clear, if it is a plate at all. From what can be seen it comprises either letters fixed directly to the bench or, but unlikely, simply painted directly onto the bench. Either way the colour of the letters was most likely to be red
Photo from John Alsop collection

Home Page
Last updated: Thursday, 24-Dec-2020 00:56:26 CET
© 1998-2020 Disused Stations